The Best Food Sealer to Get the Most Out of Your Perishable Goods
Read Our Honest Review about Best Food Sealer.
As someone who's fond of getting my food in bulk, I know what a hassle storage can get.
Microwaveables, resealable bags, plastic wraps, and aluminum foils can only do so much in keeping your meats and veggies fresh for a few days.
So, for my perishables, I only go for the best food sealer to ensure that my stocked food will have prolonged shelf life.
What exactly is a vacuum sealer, you might be wondering. Simply put, it is an appliance that suctions all the air and moisture out of a food storage pouch or canning jar.
How to Choose the Best Food Sealer
Back in the older days, vacuum sealers are strictly for industrial use only because of its steep price.
Nowadays, though, all thanks to modern technology, we can already enjoy vacuum sealing our produce right in the comforts of our homes. The only challenge is in finding the best product in the market.
So, to help you find an excellent vacuum sealer that can assist you in easily storing food, I'm giving you some handy tips in choosing a good product.
For starters, here are some of the things you have to consider:
Type of Vacuum Sealer
The type of vacuum sealer can easily determine the quality of the outcome and the price of the appliance.
This is why you should get to know what the different types of sealers are available, so you can quickly trim down your options. The three types are:
1. Chamber vacuum sealers
Best noted for being the fastest sealer among the different varieties, the chamber vacuum sealer stands out for its design.
It has a containment chamber where you should put the bagged items fo packing. It is most ideal for sous vide applications and require special boilable barrier bags to work effectively.
It is deemed as the most effective of all the types of vacuum sealers with up to 99.6% of efficiency and can even seal multiple bags in one go.
This makes it a great tool for busy homes as well as small restaurants. Sealers of this type can be a bit pricey, though.
2. Clamp vacuum sealers
Also known as an external vacuum sealer, this type of sealer are the most popular sealers used for homes.
They're less bulky than chamber types but requires special bags with texture inside to suction the air out of the bag.
To use these appliances, you clamp down on the bag to get the air out then you use the impulse heating function to close the bag.
They're pretty easy to use, but they don't really have high vacuum strengths, so you should expect less than stellar results.
Some clamp style sealers are also unideal for liquids, so if you intend to seal such, be more discerning in your search for a good food sealer.
3. Nozzle vacuum sealers
Nozzle vacuum sealers is a kind of clamp vacuum sealer that makes use of a nozzle to draw the air and moisture out of the bag.
It's a noteworthy option because it doesn't require a special bag to work, making it a great, affordable option for this kind of appliance.
Most ideal for more delicate items that can get crushed with most heavy duty vacuum sealers, this type of food sealer can be the perfect packing appliance for your home.
The sealing appliance's is an essential factor you need to take note of because these appliances can get as big as your kitchen's preparation area.
If you're only going to seal a few items at a time, getting a small sized variant is recommended.
However, if you're planning to do a lot of vacuum sealing, go for a large variant so you can vacuum seal in batches.
Of course, when you're shopping for an appliance, it should be able to perform well. Make sure to take note of these things:
- Vacuum strength. The stronger the suction the appliance has, the faster it can draw out the air from the bag.
- However, if you're going to seal a lot of delicate items that can get crushed easily, looking for something with a moderate suction strength is also a good way to go.
- There are some products that have varying vacuum settings, though, so you don't have to worry about versatility.
- Sealing quality. Aside from its ability to suck out air effectively, you also have to look for a product that will seal your bag properly.
- A low quality seal could result to air getting back inside your sealed bag, which would totally waste your efforts and can spoil your perishables faster.
- Seal cycle. Some appliances will require some down time for the appliance before you start sealing again.
This can be a hassle if you're going to seal a lot of items, so make sure to look into this consideration as well.
Lastly, you'll need a vacuum sealer that is easy to use. Complicating the process may prove to be inefficient for those who need to do some bulk sealing, so make sure that the product you'll get is easy to utilize.
Recommended Product Reviews
Aside from the things you should look for in a quality food sealer, you can also cut down your search time with some good product recommendations.
To help you out with that, here are a few best reviewed products in the market that I suggest you look into:
1. FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealing System with Starter Kit
Made by one of the best known food storage solutions brands, the FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealing System is a handy, external vacuum sealer that is perfect for home use.
It is designed to keep food fresh for up to five times longer than its regular shelf life, helping you save money and avoid waste.
- Includes a starter kit that comes with a (1) 11x10” Heat Seat Roll, (3) Quart Heat Seal Bags, (2) Gallon Heat Seal Bags, (1) Accessory Hose
- Manually operated, allowing better user control
- Compact size measuring 16.5x6.75x4 inches
- CrushFree Instant Seal that prevents delicate foods from getting crushed
- Special, patented, dishwasher-safe drip tray
- Seals canisters and marinates foods in minutes
- 5 year limited warranty
The FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealing System is a handy kitchen tool if you're the type who likes to take advantage of bulk discounts on perishables.
Easy to use with two buttons that will let you manually choose whether to seal or to vacuum and seal, users have total control over this appliance.
It also lets you use bag rolls for more convenient storage.The unit itself is sturdy and compact enough to sit comfortably in any kitchen.
It's not meant for heavy commercial use that entails continuous sealing for days on end, but it can be a perfect home vacuum sealer that will help you save leftovers, especially during the holidays.
You can even use it for pickling jars, delicate foodstuffs, and large items with the help of the FoodSaver expandable bag.
The best part is probably with its removable dishwasher-safe drip tray. Cleaning these things can be tricky to clean, so having the chance to remove this part for a quick cleanup is always a welcome idea.
2. FoodSaver GameSaver Deluxe Vacuum Sealing Kit
Made especially for hunters and fishermen who want to ensure the freshness of their catch,
The FoodSaver GameSaver Deluxe Vacuum Sealing Kit is a good choice if you're looking for a more robust sealing appliance but are not in the market for an industrial grade product.
- Includes (2) bag rolls and (10) pre-cut bags
- Easy, one-touch controls for 2 seal levels and 2 vacuum speeds
- CrushFree Instant Seal ensures that delicate food won't get crushed while sealing
- Moist/Dry settings to guarantee optimal sealing
- Extra-wide sealing strip for a secure seal
- With a built-in storage and cutter
- Easy to clean, removable drip tray
- Midsized with measurements of 19x7.2x15.6 inches
- 10 year warranty
Marketed for those who love to hunt and fish, the FoodSaver GameSaver Deluxe Vacuum Sealing Kit is meant to be a portable sealing appliance that you can bring along with you on your outdoor trips.
It's a lot sturdier than home units and can withstand continuous use. With a 10 year warranty, it also guarantees that these products are meant to be with you for a good long time.
What makes this appliance extra handy is it's built in cutter, which is not available in other vacuum sealers.
It can help you save bags by cutting to size whatever you've used. It also saves you from the hassle of estimating how much of the roll you need to cut for the item you're going to store.
If you want to seal jars with this sealer, you might need to get the attachments sold separately, though.
It's a little bit more expensive than other models, but with its quality and sealing capabilities, it is definitely worth the price.
3. Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer
Feeling iffy with lightweight sealers that don't seem like quality appliances for you? The Weston Pro-2300 is a commercial grade, external vacuum sealer that will definitely be a good option for you.
Made from stainless steel and equipped with a double-piston vacuum pump with a fan-cooled motor,
This Weston sealer is a promising high end appliance for those who are after a heavy duty and high quality vacuum sealer.
- Commercial grade
- Stainless steel construction with see-thru acrylic vacuum lid
- Double piston vacuum-pump with 28” HG vacuum strength and 935 watts of power
- Automatic Mode for simple one-touch operation and Manual mode for sealing soft items
- Detachable power cord with compartment
- LED lights for easy sealing monitoring
- Measures 22 1/2x12 1/4x6 inches
- Includes (1) extra-large Teflon bar for sealing bags up to 15 inches wide
- 1 year limited warranty
Large, sturdy, and heavy, the Weston Pro-2300 Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer is a choice commercial grade sealer that is ideal for heavy use.
It big size allows sealing bigger bags and items, providing a lot of ease for bulk purchasers and commercial establishments.
Easy to use with its two modes, this sealer guarantees 100% sealed bags every time you use it.
However, it is highly recommended that you only use Weston bags for this unit, as other bags don't really provide great results.
And since this is a commercial grade vacuum sealer, you can expect the Weston Pro-2300 to be on the pricier side.
It shouldn't be a problem, though, if you're going to do a lot of sealing with it.
4. FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System with Bonus Built-in Retractable Handheld Sealer Starter Kit, Heat Seal and Zipper Bags
For those who are looking for a complete food preserving vacuum sealer unit, the FoodSaver 4840 is a solid choice.
This external clamp type vacuum sealer also comes with a handheld suction tool so you have a choice in how to vacuum seal.
- For home use
- Comes with a starter kit that includes (1) 11x10” Roll, (3) Qt Heat-seal bags, (3) Qt Zipper Bags, (2) Gal Heat-Seal Bags, (2) Gal Zipper Bags
- Automatic bag detection for easier sealing
- Seal and Vacuum/Seal modes
- Roll storage
- Built in bag cutter and retractable handheld sealer that can be used with zipper bags, canisters, and containers
- Marinating option available
- Moist/dry food settings
- Easy to clean pull-out drawer for patented, removable, and dishwasher safe drip tray
- Measures 11x20x12 inches
- 5-year limited warranty
Versatile, easy to use, and convenient, the FoodSaver 4840 vacuum sealer is a great option if you're the type who shies away from appliances that require additional accessory purchases.
It seals two ways: from its clamp for bigger items, and from its handheld sealer which is use with resealable bags, offering more use and bang for the buck.
This product is also perfectly easy to use. All you need to do is to place the bag on the clamp and it will automatically detect the item and seal immediately.
As for the handheld sealer, you just need to place it on top of the zipper bag and press the Accessory button and you're all good to go.
It can also marinate quickly and is easy to clean, making use such a breeze.
Reasonably priced and packed with useful features, it's a great investment for homes who want to save money and food in the long run.
5. FoodSaver V3240 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System with Starter Kit
For an all-around vacuum sealer, the FoodSaver V3240 offers great value for the money.
Powerful, handy, and reasonably priced this vertical external vacuum sealer can be the best tool in your kitchen for food preservation.
- Ideal for home use
- Starter kit includes (1) 11x10” roll, (3) qt heat seal bags, (2) gal heat seal bags, (1) accessory hose
- Manually operated with 2 vacuum speeds
- CrushFree feature that allows automatic adjustment for vacuum speed depending on food type to avoid crushed foodstuffs
- Built in roll holder and bag cutter for convenience
- Moist/Dry food settings
- Accessory hose included for vacuum sealing FoodSaver containers and canisters
- Removable, dishwasher-safe drip tray
- Measures 18.6x9x10.7 inches
- 5-year limited warranty
Keeping food fresh for up to 5x longer than freezing and refrigerating, the FoodSaver V3240 is the ideal kitchen tool for those who like to save money and stop wasting food.
Its compact design makes it convenient for re-packing perishables that were bought in bulk as the bags are already in the unit and are just waiting to be used.
The FoodSaver V3240 is also a bit more heavy duty than other models in the line. It can keep up with rather frequent uses at home. Reasonably priced, you can’t go wrong with this unit.
6. Seal-a-Meal Manual Vacuum Sealer FSSMSL0160-000
Compact homes tend to make people reconsider about getting a vacuum sealer or buying in bulk.
However, with a compact appliance like the Seal-a-Meal Manual Vacuum Sealer, you won’t have to worry about your limited space and you can get more out of your perishables.
- Ideal for home use
- Includes (4) quart bags
- Quick horizontal sealing
- Can fit 8 and 11 inch, quart and gallon size heat seal bags
- Hands-free and sealing indicator lights for ease of use
- Compact design measuring 6x17x9.3 inches
- 1 year limited warranty
Ideal for those who are not yet ready to take a leap into vacuum sealing, the Seal-a-Meal Manual Vacuum Sealer is a basic sealing appliance that can get the job done.
If you’re only going to vacuum seal occasionally and in small amounts, this can be a handy kitchen tool to have.
The best thing about this appliance is that it is perfectly small, so you don’t have to worry about storage space. It’s also very affordable, so there’s really no harm in giving it a try.
7. Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer
Offering great value for your money is the Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer. With a powerful piston pump,
You are guaranteed that this appliance will provide ample vacuum strength to guarantee quality outcomes in vacuum sealing your perishables.
- For home use only
- Includes (2) 8.6x9.8” rolls, (5) 8.6x11.8” pre-cut bags, (5) 11x11.9” pre-cut bags
- Easy one touch operation
- Automatic shut off
- Built in roll storage and bag cutter
- Extended mode for longer sealing of wet and juicy items
- Powerful piston pump for extra vacuum strength
- Measures 11.8x18.3x5 inches
- 1 year limited warranty
A more affordable option for a sturdier looking vacuum sealer is the Nesco VS-02. This product is loved for its functionality, as it vacuum seals perfectly and stores its own bags neatly in just one package.
Powered by a piston pump, you can count on a nice vacuum strength that will ensure longer shelf life for your perishables.
Easy to operate, you also have great control in the vacuuming action this product can do. With its Extended mode and an option to cancel the sealing process are available,
So you can ensure tighter sealing and avoid crushing products, depending on the item you’re vacuum sealing.
Paired with Nesco’s durable heat seal bags, you can be sure to get great results with the Nesco VS-02.
8. GameSaver Bronze Vacuum Sealer
Want a more unique looking kitchen appliance? The GameSaver Bronze Vacuum Sealer comes in a camo print as a homage to its hunting and fishing target market.
It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty, guaranteeing more value for your money.
- Ideal for home and outdoor use
- Includes (2) rolls and (10) pre-cut bags
- Easy, touchpad controls
- Built in roll storage and bag cutter
- Removable, dishwasher safe drip tray
- Moist/dry food settings
- Accessory for sealing canisters and containers
- Marinates in minutes
- Compact design measuring 20.7x15.3x6.7 inches
- Can be flipped vertically for easier storage
- Camo print design
- Limited lifetime warranty
Like other GameSaver products, the GameSaver Bronze Vacuum Sealer is a more robust option for a home use sealing appliance.
Easy to use with touchpad controls that will let you seal and vacuum/seal, you’re easily in control with how to use this powerful device to prolong your perishables’ shelf life.
While this unit can be a bit more expensive, it’s completely worth it because it has limited lifetime warranty.
This guarantees the item’s long life, ensuring that the GameSaver Bronze is a sound investment for your home.
9. VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Considered as one of the best chamber vacuum sealers in the market today, the VacMaster VP215 is a top choice when it comes to heavy duty kitchen appliances.
- Perfect for commercial use
- 1/4 HP rotary oil pump providing ample power for heavy use
- Easy to understand controls in the front
- Manual included
- Can process bags up to 10x13 inches
- Measures 15x20x14 inches
Not all heavy duty chamber vacuum sealers are made equally and the VacMaster VP215 can attest to that.
. It is a very reliable kitchen tool that can package not only your solid perishables and wet items, but it can also work with liquids quietly. With its capability to double seal, tight sealing is ensured.
What makes this product ideal for heavy use is its rotary oil pump that doesn’t require cool down while you’re packing in bulk.
Sturdy and consistent, it is an ideal tool for homes that buy in bulk, restaurants, culinary schools, and hunters among many others.
10. Waring Pro PVS1000 Pistol Vac Professional Vacuum Sealer System
Don’t have enough space for countertop sealing appliances? Then the Waring Pro PVS1000 is a good option for you!
This pistol type, handheld food sealer is a portable device that you can use to vacuum seal anything, anywhere.
- Ideal for light uses
- Includes (12) gallon bags and (12) qt bags
- Powered by rechargeable NiMH battery with charging stand
- Small sized measuring 10.3x4.2x11.8 inches
- 5 year limited motor warranty
Small in size but huge in performance, the Waring Pro PVS1000 is a handy food sealer that you can easily lug around.
It may be miniscule, but it gets the job done in vacuum sealing perishables. It can seal bags and jars wonderfully, making it a nice alternative to countertop sealers if you don’t have the kitchen space.
A full charged battery can seal up to 20 bags, which is already a lot, so it is a pretty heavy duty product.
It’s also quite affordable, so if you’re in the market for a kitchen tool that won’t cause you storage issues and compromise sealing quality, this could be a great option for you.
Final Verdict - Best Food Sealer
With all of the useful information above, you’re now ready to start shopping for the best food sealer.
All of our product recommendations are guaranteed to be among the finest in the market, so you can be sure that any of them will be a great choice.
So go ahead and find the right kitchen tool that will help you prolong your perishables’ shelf life today!